Since the Covid numbers have been dropping in our area, the session of DPC has decided that it is time to open our sanctuary for in-person worship. It will be wonderful to be back together again, but there are a few things you should know before coming. Please read the rest of this note carefully before attending!
- The service will be pared-down a bit, when compared to a pre-covid service. Services will be similar to our parking lot services that we held over the summer. They will be shorter, with less music and interaction.
- Masks will be required for attending worship. We’re trying to take every possible precaution. If you forget yours, one will be provided when you enter the building.
- You’re asked to maintain a distance of six feet from anyone who is not a member of your household.
- We will not be participating in any congregational singing because many studies have shown that singing spreads particulates far more efficiently than speaking. Robin and I are working to creatively incorporate music into the services.
- We will also not be passing the peace or passing the offering plate. Instead of passing the offering plate, there will be a box at the back of the sanctuary. You may drop offerings into the box on your way in or out of the sanctuary.
- Another thing that needs to go into the box is a card with the name of all people from your household who attended worship, a phone number and the date: This is for the purpose of contact tracing. Should a positive case occur in the congregation, we will want to be able to call everyone who attended a service with that person.
- Unfortunately, we will not be having social time before or after the service. You are asked to simply go to your car after the service is over. As much as I would love to give you all handshakes and hugs, I will not be able to in this setting.
- Nursery care will not resume yet, and Sunday School will continue to be conducted over Zoom for the time being.
- The most difficult issue is still the bathrooms. We’re encouraging anyone who uses the bathroom to wipe down every surface they’ve touched. But the honor system is a difficult thing. So since you can never be sure if the person before you wiped everything down when they left, you’re encouraged to wipe everything down before you use it. And when you leave too! But doing it beforehand ensures that it’s clean You will find cleaning supplies in each stall and near the sinks.
- I want everyone to be aware that DPC’s session is continuing to watch Covid numbers in our area. Should they go back up, there is a chance that we will need to close again. Please be prepared for this to happen.
- Finally, please be aware that we will continue to offer YouTube services for anyone who is not yet comfortable attending in-person services. If for any reason at all, you are not comfortable attending, if you or someone you live with has a health condition that puts them at risk or if you feel even slightly sick or are running a fever, you are STRONGLY encouraged to stay connected via YouTube rather than joining us for in-person worship.
I am excited to see you all. And I am hopeful that we can start getting back to a more normal type of worship soon. Remember, the fastest way for us to start getting back to normal is for as many of us as possible to get vaccinated as soon as we can! This will make gathering safer for everyone!
Yours in Christ,