Please see below for our current job opportunities.
Job Title: Music Director
Compensation: negotiable based on experience
General Job Description: Develop and lead the music ministry program for Delafield Presbyterian Church in a way that is creative, spirit-led, and in line with the mission, values, and theology of the church.
- A passion for leading and teaching others
- Endorse and support the mission statement of Delafield Presbyterian Church
- Support Presbyterian theology and teachings
Education and Experience
- Significant musical experience required: college degree preferred
- Proven ability to organize and direct vocalists and instrumentalists
- Experience in leading various styles of worship music
- Knowledge of current trends in worship music
Skills and Abilities
- The ability to play piano and electric keyboard
- Strong communication skills and the ability to relate well interpersonally
- Work collegially with the pastor in planning, preparing for and leading music at worship services
- Sensitivity to the musical preferences of the congregation; with ability to adapt
- Team player who can also work independently
- Ability to teach music
- Ability to select songs that are appropriate to the size and skill levels of the choirs
- Love and respect for people
- Sense of humor and positive attitude
- Dependable, responsible, self-motivated and creative
- Committed to enhancing the life of the church
- Sensitivity to what makes worship effective
- Ability to listen to and communicate with people of all ages and musical backgrounds
- Interest in a wide range of musical experience
- Ability to work with volunteers
Planning Worship Services
- Work with the pastor to establish appropriate worship themes and assimilate other planned elements into the service.
- Work with Sunday School coordinator to incorporate youth into services as needed.
Preparing for Worship
- Lead in the process of recruitment of the music worship team and conduct effective and efficient weekly rehearsals.
- In conjunction with the Pastor select and prepare the service music and hymns for each Sunday’s worship from introit to postlude.
- Direct and oversee the vocal and hand bell choirs.
- Select and plan vocal choir and bell choir music for Sunday services.
- Select and order necessary music, literature, and supplies for choirs and instrumentalists.
- Arrange for the maintenance of musical instruments.
- Assure the organization and proper maintenance of the music library.
- Coordinate and work with individuals in the church who wish to perform musical solos or ensemble pieces as part of a worship service.
- Participate at least quarterly in planning for worship with the pastor, and others responsible for planning and leading worship.
- Communicate faithfully and effectively with the pastor, office volunteers and members of the Worship and Music Ministry Team as to needs, information to be printed in the weekly bulletin, and planned absences from worship.
- Play the hymns to be sung by the congregation.
- Play the introit and postlude.
- Play the accompaniment for choral selections – in effect, directing from the piano bench.
- Provide oversight for the music budget in conjunction with the Worship and Music Ministry Team of Session.
- Provide the music for several evening services during the year.
- Arrange for and select any substitute pianist.
- Promote the spiritual life of the congregation through music ministry.
- Possible tasks assigned by the pastor.
DPC Mission Statement
A Caring Community of Faith answering Christ’s call to Serve Other